Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Big Girl Bed.

On Monday night Kenzie was looking for her Nuk and crawled out of her crib.  I was sitting in the living room watching Dancing With the Stars when I heard a loud THUD followed by blood curdling screaming and crying.  When I opened the girls' bedroom door I found one little munchkin on the floor crying and one big munchkin in bed horrifically screaming.  I immediately picked Kenzie up and then jumped in bed with Kadence to comfort her.  I think Kadence was more scared than Kenzie about the whole ordeal.  I have never heard her cry like that before.  So, after some extra snuggles we gave Kenzie her Nuk and put the girls back to bed.  I said a little prayer hoping that would be the only THUD we heard that night.  And it was.
Ryan and I had literally talked about switching Kenzie into a bed on Sunday and now we had no choice.  We made a quick trip to Target to get some sheets and a quilt and rearranged some furniture.  We were set!  Kenzie was not.  We tried to get her excited about her bed or to just play on it and she wanted no part of it.  I thought she would be happy to be more like her big sister!  We knew it was going to be a painful night and it was.  As it turns out, it wasn't the bed she didn't like but the fact that she couldn't have a Nuk in the big girl bed.  I pained through almost an hour and a half of screaming (Ryan would have given in so he was downstairs running on the treadmill) and she finally gave in.  When I went downstairs to run and tagged Ryan in, she stopped screaming after less than 5 minutes.  I was glad because she has him triple wrapped around her finger and I was afraid I would come upstairs after my run with him telling me he gave her the Nuk and she was sleeping.  She never got out of her bed one time the entire night-even through all the screaming!  Although, she woke up at 5 am and never went back to sleep.  That could be painful for awhile but I'm hoping she'll learn to go back to sleep eventually.  I was not surprised because she woke up about that time frequently and we would just give her her Nuk and she'd sleep until the other kids woke up.  I laugh because Kenzie still had her Nuk this long for our convenience and not for her.  We were not quite ready to give up sleep again.  I still am not ready but am holding myself accountable because I really don't want a 2 year old with a Nuk-which is only one short week away.

Kenzie only whined a few minutes at nap and then slept 2 hours!  So, I'm hoping we experienced the worst of it the first night!  Love that strong-willed little stinker!

On a side note, we don't have a crib in our home.  Weird.  

No comments: