Sunday, November 18, 2012

'Tis the Season.

'Tis the season!  With Thanksgiving just around the corner followed by Christmas just a short month later, there is always a ton of holiday fun!  I absolutely love this time of year.  There is usually an abundance of soft snow, hot coffee, holiday music, and shopping!  Unfortunately in this post this is not the season I am talking about.  I am talking about the season of colds, stomach flus, and whatever other nasty bugs are around.  Our kids have had colds on and off for a few weeks.  Landon didn't feel well Friday morning but I couldn't tell if he was just tired and wanting to stay home from school.  I sent him to school and by 9:30 the school nurse had called me to come and get him.  Apparently, it was not my best motherly instinct.  He had a fever and was lethargic and pale.  He laid around most of the morning and I had to take him in the car at noon to pick up Kadence from school.  I threw a bucket in the car-thankfully as he ended up throwing up before we left the garage.  He ran a high temp 104+ Friday night and in to Saturday and we just figured it was the good ole stomach bug.  Saturday he appeared to be getting worse and when his temp reached 104.7 around 5 o'clock we decided he should probably go in.  Unfortunately, I had to take him to the ER as the walk-ins at our facility were already closed.  The NP took one look at him and said I'm sure he has Strep throat.  She ran the quick strep test which came back positive.  She gave him an oral steroid to help with the swelling in his throat.  His tonsils were so big it was hard to tell where the air was getting through.  She would have given him a penicillin shot if he wasn't allergic so it would work faster, but he had his first oral dose while at the hospital.  She hoped he would start feeling better the next day.
I snapped this shot on my phone while I was waiting in the ER.  It is so sad but shows just how crappy he felt.  He still felt pretty bad on Sunday and I even kept him home from school on Monday.  The poor thing hardly ate in 4 days and did a lot of laying on the couch.  This was our first bout of strep throat and I hope we never have to deal with it again (it was nasty).  I'm guessing that is not the case but I am extremely grateful for the antibiotics we have because he would have ended up in the hospital without them!
On a positive note, Kadence and I were able to escape the house of sickness on Saturday for some good girl time.  We went to the mall and I had a pedicure and she had her nails painted.  We then had lunch and did some shopping.  It was some great one on one time with my little lady!
Can't forget about the other little lady!  She wanted a picture with Mama just like big sister!

Here is to getting and staying healthy!


No comments: